Dec 5, 2012

Jessica Brown: "To be frank, it was the best damn experience of my life."

Volunteer Jessica Brown was gracious enough to write about her experiences as an ongoing supporter of the Bali Children's Project:

Upon arriving in Bali you find yourself torn between a country divided by the actual life of the Balinese people and the booming tourism industry. I can't even express the gratitude I feel for becoming part of the Bali Children's Project, because through them I got to experience what Bali really is. From culture to family life I witnessed the reality for many Balinese. Although they are the most loving, connected, and open people I have ever met, many are deeply impoverished.

While there, I had the opportunity to work with children in multiple villages on making books on computers my friend and I brought, and share their story. We watched children who had never touched a computer learn to navigate, type, and explore in a matter of days. I taught english in villages near and far, in cities and the country and everywhere I was welcomed and continuously thanked. In doing so Eka, one of the most beautiful people I have ever met, introduced me to a village that desperately needed help. I was able to raise money and revamp the school, giving supplies and new paint as well as salaries for the teachers for a while. It didn't even take much to raise that money.

BCP is a multitude of different tasks and projects, but always with the same goals. Promote education and help give people the tools to succeed in whatever way possible. To be frank, it was the best damn experience of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment